Kyiv City Oncology Center (KCCC) was established in accordance with Order No 36 of the Kyiv City Health Department as of May 8, 1947: “...3. In order to improve the oncological assistance to the population of Kiev, I order:
1. To open on 8.05. this year at the 1st Central Polyclinic (now Kyiv City Clinical Hospital No 9) – a city oncological dispensary with such offices: surgical, gynecological, therapeutic, and others.
2. Temporarily appoint doctor V.N. Meschchersky as head of city Oncology Dispensary.
3. To organize at a dispensary the registration of cancer patients ...
4. To send all cancer patients through the oncology points to the city Oncology Dispensary by the chief physicians of polyclinics.
5. Based on the clinic of Professor Pankratiev at the 1st Soviet Hospital (now the Kyiv Regional Clinical Hospital) to organize on 8.05. this year an oncology clinic for 50 beds with diagnostic, X-ray and surgical departments in a room occupied by the department of purulent surgery. To allocate 10 beds for oncogynecological patients in gynecological clinic of prof. Yankelevych (now Kyiv City Clinical Hospital No 14).
6. To appoint prof. Pankratiev as general director of cancer clinic...”
In 1946 there were 1,044 patients registered in Kyiv, including 553 cases of malignant neoplasms first detected this year.
In compliance with Order No 66 of the Kyiv City Health Department as of August 14, 2007, the position of the inspector of the city health department on oncology was introduced (now the Chief Freelance Oncologist of the Department of Health). In accordance with the order issued by the City Health Department in 1947 to “identify the perpetrators of late diagnosis of malignant neoplasms” a special commission was established at KÑOD to verify timely diagnosis of malignant neoplasms and to consider all cases of “delayed diagnosis of cancer patients” (now – the city anti-cancer commission).
In order to “detect early forms of cancer of the female genital area, chest and rectum, as well as the prevention of cancer of the female genital area,” cancer preventative clinics were organized at all maternity welfare centers of the city (now it’s women’s examining rooms) in accordance with the order of City Health Department No 74 of 29.09.1947. In 1948, an issue of “the wide and correct organization of mass preventive examinations of women.” was raised by the order of the City Health Department No 70.
In 1948, a “hospital for 35 beds for chronic cancer patients” was opened.
In 1948–1949, inpatient care was provided to cancer patients in the oncosurgery department of the First Soviet Hospital (60 beds) and oncourology department of the Central City Clinical Hospital named after October Revolution (40 beds).
According to the report, the treatment of 743 patients was carried out in the oncology department of the First Medical Hospital in 1948. During the year, 342 operations were performed, 182 of them for malignant neoplasms, including 124 radical and 58 palliative. 62 patients were exposed to radiation treatment, 3 to radium treatment. In 1950, the oncology service of the city was represented by a combined oncologic dispensary consisting of a polyclinic department, a network of 18 Oncology Centers at district policlinics, oncology and oncology departments. Kyiv Institute for the Improvement of Physicians (I. Ya. Slonim, assistant professor, head of the clinic) and the Oncourologic Clinic of Kiev X-ray Radiology and Cancer Institute (Prof. B L. Polonskyi, head of the clinic) functioned on the basis of the above mentioned hospitals. In addition, KCOD had surgical beds allocated in other hospitals in Kyiv in its disposal: in the clinic of prof. A.Yu.Lurie and in the clinic of prof. E.Ya. Yankelevych, respectively, 30 and 20 gynecologic beds.
44 doctors worked in the KCOD system (19 in the clinic and 25 in oncology units). In 1950 16,695 patients were admitted to the outpatient department. During 1950 465 operations were performed for 956 patients in KCOD offices.
In 1952, in accordance with the decision of the Council of Ministers of the Ukrainian SSR No. 2374 of July 24, 1952, KCOD was re-deployed from the October hospital to the address: 9, Georgiyevskyi bystreet.
V.N. Myscherskyi headed KCOD in the first years of work, 1947–1950, Ya.A. Rovynskyi in 1951–1953, S.G. Vorona in 1953–1954 and I.S. Lebedev in 1954–1960, and in subsequent years V.G. Khodachenko in 1960–1969, G.Z. Peleshko in 1969–1973, V.I. Pentiukhov in 1973–1976, N.N. Belousov in 1976–1977, P.I. Oliynichenko, the honored doctor of Ukraine in 1977–2000, G.P. Oliynichenko, the Honored Doctor of Ukraine in 2000–2011, in June 2011, Kyiv City Clinical Oncology Center was headed by Oleksandr Mykolayovych Kliusov.
During 70 years the number of patients with malignant neoplasms in Kiev has increased more than 40 times (from 2012 in 1948 to 82357 in 2016). During the same years, the number of first diagnosed patients increased 10 times (from 1011 in 1948 to 10690 in 2016).
Work on the construction of a modern Oncology Center began in the mid-70’s. According to the decree of the Council of Ministers of the USSR No. 225 of April 29, 1975, the construction of oncology dispensaries in large cities of the USSR, including Kyiv and Kyiv region, was at the expense of funds raised on communist subbotniks. 3.5 million rubles were allocated for the construction of the Kyiv Oncology Center. In the process of construction, the sum increased and amounted to 5.5 million, 7.5 million, 9.5 million and at the time of the completion of the oncocenter construction it totaled 17.5 million.
40 years after the opening of the KCOD in 1985, the construction of a Oncology Center was completed, and in 1990 it was finished. In the same year, the Oncology Center was put into operation (Order No. 271 of July 16, 90, Department of Health of Kyiv). The center is built as per an individual design, which has been developed by GiproNDIzdorov. The main consultant of the project was P.I. Oliinichenko.
The premises of the center allowed to make optimal conditions for the treatmentdiagnostic process and safety of work with various sources of radioactive radiation and chemotherapy.
According to the order of KMDA No 1718 of October 27, 1997, Kyiv City Oncology Center (KCOC) was renamed into Kyiv City Oncology Hospital (KCOH). At the same time, the hospital preserved all functions performed by the KCCC.
Since 1990, the staff of Kyiv City Oncology Hospital has made such achievements:
• For the first time in Ukraine standards for diagnosing and treating cancer patients and standards for radiological treatment of cancer patients were developed, which were approved in 1998, with two reissues, and underlay the Protocols for the provision of medical care in the specialty “Oncology” (Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine No. 554 of September 17, 2007).
• For the first time in Ukraine, a centralized cytological laboratory was established in the KCOH upon the order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine No. 208 of 30.12.1992,
• For the first time in Ukraine, a children’s oncology department was opened in KCOH (Order No. 466 of the Kyiv Medical University of Kyiv, of 30.12.1998) among the specialized institutions of practical health care (oncology dispensaries).
• For the first time in Ukraine in 2001, a dispensary was established on the basis of Kyiv City Oncology Hospital, which included 10 district oncologists (Order ¹ 145 of the Kyiv City Medical Center from April 13.04.2001). The combination of clinical work at KCOH and organizational work in the district made the position of the district oncologist very attractive and all the positions were quickly completed with highly skilled young specialists.
• For the first time in Ukraine in the same year in 2001, a department of palliative medicine for the treatment of cancer patients in terminal stages was organized at KCOC (Order of the Kyiv City Medical Center No. 147 of April 13, 2001) on the basis of the existing rehabilitation department and Restorative Surgery, which was founded in 1990. In January 2008, a separate building of the department was opened, which allowed increasing the number of beds in the hospital from 10 to 25.
• For the first time in Ukraine treatment of oncology patients was first economically calculated in Ukraine at KCOH in accordance with the standards of diagnosis and treatment of oncopathology and the experience in providing medical care to oncological patients in the conditions of the state accounting was acquired.
• For the first time in Ukraine in 2003–2004, classes on prevention and early diagnosis of cancer of the mammary gland and cervix were introduced in the curriculum for girls of the 10–11 forms of secondary schools and 2–3 years of studies in special educational institutions due to the cooperation with the International Foundation for Psychosocial Support of Oncology Patients in Ukraine and with the support of the Main Department of Education and Science of KMDA.
• For the first time in Ukraine, KCOH doctors began to cooperate closely with patients through the Amazon community organizations and the Women’s Health and Family Planning charity fund regarding oncomammology and self-examination for breast cancer and breast precancer.
• For the first time in Ukraine in 2010, the Center for Nuclear Medicine was founded on the basis of Kyiv City Clinical Oncology Center, the main tasks of which are the early diagnosis of oncological diseases with the use of PET technologies and the treatment of malignant neoplasms by modern methods of radiation therapy
The center of nuclear medicine is equipped with the most modern equipment of world manufacturers:
– Cyclotron PetTrace – used for the production of short-lived isotope À18, C11;
– system of quality control of radiopharmaceuticals;
– fluorine synthesis module – FASTLAB processor module;
– carbon synthesis module – TRACELAB Fx – C pro processor module;
– E.cam gamma camera with two detectors;
– combined SPECT / CT Precedence system;
– PET / CT combined CT scanner series Discovery: Discovery STE;
– combined system for positron emission topography / computer tomography (PET/ CT) Gemini TF 16;
– high-power medical linear accelerator ONCOR Impression Plus;
– computer tomograph Somatom Spirit;
– a system for contact radiation therapy (brachytherapy) GammaMed plus;
– C-arc X-ray apparatus – X-ray machine for diagnostic and interventional procedures BV Endura;
– ultrasonic therapeutic apparatus HIFU.
Maintenanance of complex medical equipment at KCCOC is procured by 30 highly skilled engineers.
Currently, Kyiv City Clinical Oncology Center operates an outpatient department for 350 visits per day and an inpatient departmentt for 600 beds (160 of which are beds for day care inpatient department).
There are more than 1,000 employees in the Oncology Center, including 6 honored doctors of Ukraine. Specialized medical assistance to patients of the clinics is carried out by 150 qualified doctors and scientific collaborators of 30 different specialties, among them 16 candidates of medical sciences, 2 candidates of biological sciences, 84 doctors are specialists of the superior and first expert categories.
There are more than 350 experienced and highly qualified nurses involved in the medical and diagnostic process. 25 clinical and diagnostic departments are equipped with modern medical and diagnostic equipment of domestic and foreign manufacture, which allows to conduct examination and treatment of patients at the level of world standards.
Every year more than 850 thousand laboratory tests, more than 70 thousand researches in the department of radiological diagnostics are conducted in KCCOC, including more than 8 thousand investigations using open radiation sources and about 5 thousand endoscopic studies.
Advisory clinic is run by doctors of 14 specialties, which admit about 100 thousand patients a year.
About 30,000 patients are treated annually in the inpatient department of the center, about 6,000 surgical procedures are performed, about 3,000 patients receive chemotherapy and 3,000 – radiotherapy (for the treatment of more than 300 patients methods of open sources of radiation are applied). More than one third of the total number of patients, receive treatment in the day-time stay inpatient department.
In 2012, the Ukrainian Scientific and Practical Center of PET Technologies was created on the basis of the KCCOC upon the order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine of January 19, 2012, No 36/5/22.
Kyiv City Clinical Oncology Center is a scientific and practical association, in which 9 academic departments and departments of educational and scientific research medical institutions work:
• Oncology Department of the National Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education (the NMAPE), Head Prof. S.D. Myasoedov;
• Department of Radiology of the NMAPE, Head prof. D.S. Mechov;
• Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation of the NMAPE, prof. V.A. Lysetskyi;
• Department of Phytotherapy and Clinical Pharmacology of the NMAPE, Head prof. G.M.Voytenko;
• Department of Oncology at the National Medical University, Head Dr.Sc. R.I. Vereshchako;
• Department of Military Surgery of the Ukrainian Military Medical Academy, Head, prof. Ya.L. Zarutsky
• Department of Oncology of the Kyiv Research Institute of Urology and Nephrology, Head prof. V.S. Sakalo;
• Department of the mechanisms of antitumor therapy of the Institute of Experimental Pathology, Oncology and Radiobiology of the Republic of Crimea, the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Head Acad. prof. V.F. Chekhun;
• Laboratory of Genetics of the Institute of Experimental Pathology, Oncology and Radiobiology named after R.Kavetsky of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, PhD, Biology L.G. Buchynska KCCOC also cooperates with the Department of Immunology and Microbiology and Virology of the Open International University of Human Development “Ukraine”. 12 professors and 15 doctors of medical sciences hold consultations and treat cancer patients in KCCOC. Together with the staff of the academic departments a large amount of scientific work is done by the Center’s physicians. Its main directions are:
• development and introduction of new methods of prevention and early detection of malignant neoplasms, improvement of the organization of oncological assistance to the population in the conditions of a large city; • development of new methods of combined and integrated treatment, conservative surgeries, prevention, early diagnosis and treatment of complications of surgical interventions, radiation and chemotherapy;
• studying the effectiveness of modifying factors in the treatment of cancer patients (immunotherapy, hyperthermia, cryodestruction, and others).
Materials of scientific research are generalized annually in more than 100 scientific works. According to the results of scientific and practical work by our employees, the following publications were prepared on our own and in co-authorship with the scientists:
1. Organisational standards for the medical staff of the radiotherapy department.
2. Calculation of radiation loads, normalization of the radiation factor and working time in the radiological department of open isotopes.
3. Handbook on Polychemotherapy of tumors.
4. “Oncology” textbook for high schools edited by I.B. Schepotin, papilloma of organs of the urinary system and male genital organs section.
5. Anesthetizing therapy for patients with malignant neoplasms.
6. Cytostatic therapy of malignant neoplasms.
7. Code of volumes and quality of medical care for patients in medical and preventive institutions of the city of Kyiv, 1998.
8. Standards of diagnosis and treatment of patients with malignant neoplasms of basic localizations, 2003
9. Standards of diagnosis and treatment of cancer patients, 2007
10. Morphological diagnosis of breast cancer.
11. Algorithms of modern oncologists.
12. Radiation therapy of tumors of the cerebrum.
Following the decision of the State Expert Center of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, KCCOC has been the clinical base for approbation of new pharmacological preparations of domestic and foreign manufacture for more than 15 years. Oncology Center annually employs 5 active research centers that participate in conducting around 15 international multi-center randomized trials of new pharmaceuticals from leading manufacturers in the world.
Since 2010, KCCOC has been an approved basis for clinical trials of medical products (Order of the State Inspectorate for Quality Control of Drugs of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine No. 86 of 03.06.2010).
Kyiv City Clinical Oncology Center has created all the conditions for the training of medical students, specialization and precertification training of oncologists and oncology surgeons, interns and oncology residents and medical oncology fellows.
Every year employees of Kyiv City Clinical Oncology Center take part in Ukrainian and international scientific and practical conferences, European congresses on oncology, are members of the European Society of Medical Oncologists (ESMO), the European Society of Oncogynecologists (ESGO), the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC) and the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). Radiologists improve their qualifications at the European Society of Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ESTRO) and the European School of Nuclear Medicine (ESNM). The scientific works of the Oncology Center specialists are systematically presented at international scientific forums in the countries of the CIS, Europe and the USA.
In 2015, KCCOC successfully passed the certification for compliance of quality management system with DSTU ISO 9001. This allows consolidating the principles of the operation and organization of the quality management system of health care, to create a transparent and understandable mechanism for the provision of quality medical services, apply the principles and procedures for quality management of medical care in the course of making managerial decisions and providing medical services.