Radiological department of radiation therapy was established in the Kyiv City Oncology Dispensary in 1947, which was located on the basis of the 1-st Soviet Hospital (now Kyiv Regional Clinical Hospital).
Since 1991 the department has been working in Kyiv City Clinical Oncology Center. The first head of the department was L.P. Volchanska. In subsequent years, the department was headed by V.S. Bublyk, N.M. Yatskova, Yu.P. Polishchuk, Ò.Ì. Valevakhina, T.M. Govorukha. To date, the radiological department of radiotherapy is headed by the doctor-radiologist of the highest qualification category N.A. Efremova, and a day care unit for patients with radiation therapy beds is headed by a radiologist of the highest qualification category, L. Synyushkina.
The radiological department of radiotherapy has 93 beds of the radiological inpatient clinic and 25 beds of day-time stay patients. Over a year, more than 3,000 patients with tumors of the breast, head and neck, lungs, esophagus, rectum, brain, prostate, bladder, female genital organs, hematopoietic system and tumors of other localization receive treatment in the department.
The department conducts:
– radiation therapy of patients with primary and recurrent tumors
– radiation therapy in combination with chemotherapy
– radiation therapy in terms of combined and complex treatment of cancer patients (neoadjuvant and adjuvant courses).
The department is equipped with equipment for remote and contact radiation therapy:
– 2 linear accelerators “Oncor impression plus” – gamma-therapeutic apparatus “Teratron”, “Rockus”
– brachytherapy systems, 2 brands “AGAT-VU”, “GammaMed”
– device for X-ray therapy “RUM-17”
– devices for topometric preparation - spiral computer tomography “Emoution Duo” and “Spirit”.
– X-ray diagnostic apparatus “Arman-4”
The staff of the radiological department includes: 12 radiologist doctors (9 of them have the highest qualification category), with a physics engineer, 19 nurses for equipment maintenance and 26 ward nurses. The patients of the departments are consulted by D.S. Mechev, doctor of medical sciences, professor, head of the Department of Radiology in the NMAPE named after P.L. Shupyk, as well as associate professors of the department V.P. Ivchuk, M.V.Sokolovska. The employees of the department take part in the annual scientific and practical conferences and constantly improve their qualifications in the thematic improvement courses and courses of the European Society of Therapeutic Radiation Oncologists (ESTRO).